State of the World's Cities 2008/9
Posted: 30 November 2008
Author: UN-HABITAT. Earthscan 2008. Â£24.95 paperback
The 21st century is the Century of the City. Half of humanity now lives in cities, and within the next two decades, 60 per cent of the world's people will reside in urban areas. How can city planners and policymakers harmonize the various interests, diversity and inherent contradictions within cities? What ingredients are needed to create harmony between the physical, social, environmental and cultural aspects of a city and the human beings that inhabit it?
It addresses national concerns by searching for solutions at the city level. For that purpose, it focuses on three key areas: spatial or regional harmony, which examines the main drivers of urban growth in the developing world and explores the spatial nuances of economic and social policies; social harmony, which presents and analyses new data on urban inequalities worldwide and describes the types of shelter deprivations experienced by slum dwellers in developing world regions; and environmental harmony, which examines the role of cities in the climate change debate, and the impact of global warming on the most vulnerable cities.
The report also assesses the various intangible assets within cities that contribute to harmony, such as cultural heritage, sense of place and memory and the complex set of social and symbolic relationships that give cities meaning. It argues that these intangible assets represent the soul of the city and are as important for harmonious urban development as tangible assets.
- Welcome to our Website
- Voices from Planet 21
- Cities can lead in climate solutions
- Cities biggest polluters, says new UN report
- Radical urban transport changes needed before population explosion
- More people, more problems - water challenges with Chinese city growth
- FILM PREVIEW: What price 'development'?
- US car fleet slumped by 4 million in 2009
- Copenhagen named greenest city in Europe
- China's grand plans for eco cities lie abandoned
- COMMENTARY: Slumdog millionaire: fantasy with a message
- Action plan agreed for India's polluted cities
- State of the World's Cities 2008/9
- COMMENT: India's complicated bus ride
- Tailoring transport for tomorrow's cities